Friday, April 20, 2012

New Spins on Old Classics

Button-ups, button-downs, boy-shirts, blouses, oxfords...call them what you will, but they're everywhere - they've been around for years and they're not going away anytime soon.  Half my closet is filled with collared, button-up shirts of all different varieties.  The problem is, when you have so many, they can feel boring even if they're all different colors, materials, and patterns.  Recently I read this article on Refinery29.com and I found it most inspiring.  I love putting new spins on old classics, and changing the way you wear button-up shirts is a great way to revamp what's already in your closet for spring.

From the article, my two favorite suggestions are to wear a button-up shirt under a casual sweatshirt and to wear one tied up with a bow instead of tucked in (photos c/o Refinery29).



Here are a few of my favorite ways to style classic shirts: 

1. Mix Prints 
Mixing prints is great when done right, but it can be a little scary at first (no one wants to look like Punky Brewster!).  A classic style shirt in a basic gingham plaid paired with a different pattern on the bottom is a great way to ease into this look.  You can even go monochromatic with the look and you'll kill two spring trends with one stone (how very stylish of you!).


Right: J.Crew shirt w/ Tory Burch shorts.  Left: J.Crew shirt w/ ASPESI shorts.

2. In Silk
I love silk just as much as I love button-up shirts, so it's inevitable that I have a couple button-ups made of silk.  They're great and so versatile.  You can wear them casually with skinny jeans and flats, you can style them so they are work-appropriate, or you can dress them up for a night out (tucked into a skirt with heels? Yes, please!).  I have the Blythe blouse from J.Crew in teal, but I am currently craving it in yellow for spring.
J.Crew Blythe blouse

3. Layered Over a Dress
I frequently wear button-up chambray shirts with dresses (okay, and with everything else), but lately I've been experimenting with oxford shirts and plaids over dresses.  Wearing an open shirt over a dress is just like wearing a cardigan with a dress but much more interesting.  It's the perfect way to make a sleeveless dress appropriate for spring, work, or cool summer nights.
Madewell denim shirt w/ Madewell Market Tank Dress.  Woolrich shirt w/ J.Crew Blouson Dress in stripe.  J.Crew Perfect Shirt in linen w/ J.Crew Villa Dress.




How do you put a new spin on classic pieces?  How else would you revamp a basic button-up?

No comments:

Post a Comment