Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Latest & Greatest: 3 New-to-Me Products I Love

Sometimes I get comfortable with my routine and neglect to try new products for months at a time.  This was pretty much the case over the winter, but I've recently revamped my makeup bag and added a few new products to my daily regimen.

1. LORAC Luminizer
I've never used a luminizer (also called highlighting powder), but after watching this Michelle Phan video (see around 4:25), I thought I'd give it a shot.  After the first application I was already hooked, and now I can't imagine my makeup bag without it.  With my index finger, I apply luminizer to the apples of my cheeks before applying blush, to my brow bone, in the corners of my eyes, and (most importantly) to the bridge of my nose (it makes my nose look SO much narrower).  I've also used it on my collarbones...it's face makeup, but it can be applied pretty much anywhere.  If you're looking for something to brighten up your face and define your best features, luminizer is a must.
2. Maybelline Gel Eyeliner
I have eyeliner ADD.  I'll like pencils for a while, then suddenly switch to liquid for no rhyme or reason.  Recently, I've been getting bored (and impatient) with my liquid liner and I was not looking forward to going back to a pencil..  While I had never tried gel liner, I often wet eyeshadow and use it as liner, so I had the concept (and the steady hand) down-pat.  I didn't think I would like the gel, so I decided to get some from the drugstore to test out before buying a higher-quality product.  I've never liked drugstore makeup, but I've been so impressed with Maybelline's gel liner that I think I will stick with it (you can't be $7 for an eyeliner that actually works!).  It goes on smoothly and I can control it more easily than any other type off eyeliner I've ever used (it's smudge-proof too...yet another plus).  I'll probably switch back to liquid liner again, but for now gel liner is my new favorite.  If you've never tried it, I highly suggest going to CVS and picking up some gel liner.
3. Urban Decay De-Slick in a Tube
Anyone with oily skin can tell you how frustrating it is to have to use a blotting sheet every hour to prevent shine.  Not only is the shininess annoying, but with oily skin, makeup tends to fall off your face (meaning you can't go 9 to 5 without reapplying.  If you do, by 5:00PM, the only makeup left on your face will be your eye makeup).  Luckily, Urban Decay has De-Slick in a Tube, a mattifying gel that controls oil, prevents shine, and helps your makeup last all day.  It's truly refreshing to not have to worry about have a shiny forehead or nose. I love this product, and my face feels cleaner all day.  I sometimes use it without makeup, but I definitely use it with makeup.  I just use my fingers to apply it to my T-zone before putting on foundation, and it keeps me fresh-faced all day.  While I love, love, love this gel, when my tube runs out, I'm going to try the Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Makeup Setting Spray.  While the gel says it can be used over makeup, rubbing it in also rubs your makeup off, whereas the spray just dries on your face - no rubbing or blending necessary (the spray also has better reviews).




Have you discovered any new-to-you products recently?

5 comments:

  1. I also prefer gel eyeliner. Once you master the brush, it's hard to go back to a pencil. I like your blog. Very eclectic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo need to try the de-slick...I was going to get the matte foundation by makeup forever because I hate getting shiny, but since I only use powder and don't really want to switch to foundation this seems like a better idea. thanks shanni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of gel liner, I constantly switch between the pencil and liquid too, I'll have to give it a shot. Is it easy to apply?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have the most steady of hands, but I might consider trying out the gel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gel is SO easy to apply! I don't have steady hands either...I'm super shaky. If you can use a pencil or liquid, you'll have an even easier time using the brush with the gel.

    ReplyDelete