Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Bikram Beach Body

My last post reminded me that swimsuit season is rapidly approaching.  I rarely exercise - I have never stepped foot inside a gym and I can't run a mile to save my life.  Aside from a few crunches, it's safe to say that I haven't consistently exercised since high school (when I danced 4+ days a week).  That being said, I love Bikram Yoga.  Other types of yoga simply don't seem like exercise to me, but Bikram is quite the workout and my favorite way to get back in shape for beaches and bikinis.

For those who don't know, Bikram Yoga consists of a 90-minute routine in a heated room (like 100 degrees heated).  The benefits are endless: you can read about them here.  By the end of class, you've sweat so much that you look like you have just jumped out of the shower.  It's not for everyone, but here are a few reasons why I love it:

-Fast results: I'm never really out of shape or gain weight, but after just a few sessions of Bikram, I can see results.  It's the instant gratification that my generation loves.

-Keeps me hydrated: I never drink enough water, but you simply cannot do Bikram without being well-hydrated.  For a couple days before, I make sure to drink as much water as possible, and by the time the first class is over, drinking water has become a habit.  Being hydrated makes me feel better in every aspect of life, and Bikram reminds me that it's important.

-Classes are instructed: Part of why I've never gone to a gym is because I wouldn't know what to do.  I could take a class, but eh, Zumba and kickboxing just don't appeal to me.  With Bikram, there is an instructor at the front that tells you what to do when and how to do it.  The routine is the same for each class and after a few classes I remember what comes next, but the instruction is still nice.  Also, the instructors push you to go farther which keeps me from cheating out on any postures.

-Healthy competition: I'm pretty flexible, in part because I danced for so many years but a lot of it is natural.  That being said, I am always surprised at how flexible those who practice Bikram regularly are...and I get competitive.  I see this as a good thing because it makes me want to attend classes regularly and get better so that I can be the best and most flexible student in the class.

I love all the other benefits of Bikram (the detox, the way my skin feels and looks after, etc., etc.), but the ones listed above are what keep me - an exercise hater - going back again and again.



Have you ever tried Bikram Yoga? How else do you get your beach body back?

2 comments:

  1. I really want to try Bikram! I'm such a yoga newb tho, was it easy to catch on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the first time I did it was right after I stopped dancing so I was in pretty good shape and thought it was easy (both physically and catching onto the postures); I did the first class without sitting down at any point. However, now the first class after not doing it for a while is always tough since I'm not in the same shape. I think if you're used to taking instruction (as you are from dance) then it's easier to follow the postures and that helps you to push through the physical difficulty.

    ReplyDelete