Friday, April 6, 2012

Ham & Pineapple Skewers

I've always liked Easter.  I don't know if it's because it often falls around my birthday (I had more than one childhood birthday party with egg-coloring as the main event), or if because it seems to be the true start of spring, or if it's because of the food.  I think it's a combination of these reasons, but the food is definitely one of my favorite parts.

My family has always observed Easter casually - it's really a low-fuss, no-fuss holiday for us.  In the past, my parents have always cooked the traditional Easter Sunday ham, but this year I requested something a bit different - ham and pineapple skewers.  The past two years on my birthday, this was the meal I asked my mom to make, and since this Easter Sunday is the day before my birthday, it seems fitting to serve these skewers in place of the usual holiday meal.
Below is the recipe for the skewers (with a few personal changes), but the original be found here.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons brown sugar 
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar 
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
3/4 pound cooked ham, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 fresh pineapple, cut into cubes
skewers

Directions
1. Preheat grill for high heat.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together brown sugar, vinegar, vegetable oil, and mustard.  Thread ham and pineapple chunks alternately onto skewers.
3. Lightly oil grill grate.  Place skewers on the prepared grill and brush liberally with the brown sugar mixture.  Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, turning frequently and basting often.  Serve when heated through and richly glazed.



What will you be eating this Easter Sunday?

No comments:

Post a Comment