Sunday, February 26, 2012

Everyday Essentials

There are just some products that I cannot live without (well, I could, but I never want to know what that's like)!  I'm a firm believer that a bad hair day can put a damper on the best of days, but I have an arsenal of products to ensure that bad hair days are prevented.  Here are some of my everyday essentials:


1) Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo and Pure Abundance Conditioner

I don't have thin hair, but there are few things that I hate more than when my hair is flat.  I have gone to an Aveda salon (Tu Moda Spa) for many years now, and I've grown to love Aveda products.  The Rosemary Mint shampoo leaves my hair feeling clean (without feeling stripped) and removes whatever residue has built up, whether that be from heat-protection products or hairspray.

While I love the shampoo, it's the Pure Abundance Conditioner that works the real magic.  It is clay based an adds more volume to my hair than I ever thought a conditioner could.  Whether I am wearing my hair curly, straight, or leaving it natural, this conditioner gives my hair fabulous bounce and flounce.


Before I blow dry or style, in my palm I mix two pumps of the Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother with two pumps of the Light Elements Smoothing Fluid and run it through towel-dried hair.  I like these products because they protect my hair from the heat of the blow dryer and flattening (or curling) iron, but they don't weigh my hair down.  Also, I've found that some heat-protection products make my hair feel greasy at the roots by the end of the day, but that's not the case with these.  The Smooth Infusion is the primary heat-protecting product while the Light Elements mostly just adds shine.


For years, I used a Chi 2" styling iron.  I had my first Chi for about 6 years and loved it, but it died in 2011 of old age so, naturally, I ordered the same one.  However, I found that the quality just wasn't the same and I went through three different (and rather expensive) Chis in less than a year.  Finally I learned my lesson, researched some reviews, and made an emergency trip to Sephora to buy the ghd Classic 1" Styler.  I was wary at first because I had always used a 2" iron, but after one use of this 1" ghd, I've sworn not to go back to anything else.

For straightening, I only have to pass this iron through each section of hair once which saves valuable time in the morning and is something that I could never say about my Chi.  What I love even more about this tool is that in the same amount of time it takes to straighten, I can have a whole head of natural-looking curls.  I often feel that curling irons make hair look phony and too "done-up," but the curls this iron creates are quick and natural - appropriate for both daytime and nighttime looks.


When I was in high school, I worked at Abercrombie and Fitch (something I'm not proud of, but it happened).  We weren't allowed to wear makeup, but some of the girls I worked with suggested I use clear mascara so the managers wouldn't notice.  While I don't think it did anything for my eyelashes, I discovered that Great Lash Clear Mascara works like a charm on fly-aways.  Most days after I straighten (or curl) my hair, I comb this through on each side of my part to tame those pesky hairs that stick straight up.  Even if I'm just wearing my hair in a ballerina bun, I use it along my hairline to keep the look clean and sleek and in my bun if there is a stray hair sticking out.  Clear mascara works better than hairspray because you only use it on the few hairs that need it, not your whole head.  Even better? It stores perfectly in any size bag for touch-ups throughout the day.



What are some of your everyday essential hair products?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, very inventive use for the clear mascara. I didn't even know they made clear. My hair is very thick, wavy and often likes to poof. I've been using Moroccan Oil/Cream to help smooth it out and give it a shine. Works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moroccan Oil is great! I don't use it religiously but I love that when I do, the effects last for a few days.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love your dedication and devotion to have a good look. I am glad you have the right products and ample time and skills to use them. way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am obsessed with the Aveda Smooth Infusion line! It's pricey but so worth it. These products were my best friends under the summer humidity. I love how versatile their products are for different hairtypes and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have super frizzy hair that I generally don't do much to, but when the summer hits I really need help. This blog has good tips! I love Moroccan Oil, as a previous commenter referenced, and I'm totally going to steal this clear mascara idea.

    ReplyDelete